On April 20, 1848, Geneva Hall, staffed by a president and two faculty members, opened in Northwood, OH, to 42 students.
Geneva College has now been providing academically excellent, Christ-centered and affordable education to students for over 170 years. Since opening its doors on that Thursday in April 1848, the college’s dedication to educating students—traditional, adult learners and graduate—without regard to gender, race or creed has earned Geneva a well-deserved reputation for accessibility.
- Named in honor of Geneva, Switzerland, the center of the Reformed faith movement
- Originally located in Northwood, OH, the college moved to Beaver Falls, PA, in 1880
- Became fully co-educational in 1865—praised for providing an equivalent education for both genders
- Opened its doors to freed southern slaves around 1865, an uncommon practice during the post-Civil War period
- A leader in providing adult learners a path to earning a degree, Geneva initiated its Extension Program in the early 1900s, which laid the foundation for the Adult Degree Programs
Geneva College′s mission is student-focused, emphasizing Christ, comprehensive education, and service to God and neighbor. This is consistent with the college′s charter, bylaws and Foundational Concepts of Christian Education, as well as Geneva′s historic motto, Pro Christo et Patria (For Christ and Country).
Geneva College will inspire students to integrate faith in Christ into all aspects of life in the real world, and to serve faithfully within their callings for Christ and Country.
Encouraged by God’s faithfulness at all times, we look forward to serving Pro Christo et Patria in the years to come.