Dear elders, ministers, & sessions of the RPCNA:
Greetings in our Lord Jesus Christ. The currently serving moderator of Synod and the Business of Synod Committee were asked to send out this appeal. Please lead your flocks in this important work, a true service to our neighbors and nations.
We call the congregations of the RPCNA to day(s) for prayer & fasting. Knowing that a number of you and of our sister denominations are praying similarly, we propose that this occur soon ~ on Thursdays, April 2 and/or April 9. As you have connections with other RPCs in the world (through our R. P. Global Alliance) and broader fraternal relationships (NAPARC, with local and denominational expressions), please encourage them to pray & fast, at times that make sense for them.
Why, and what to pray for? We should ask the LORD of Hosts to have mercy upon us and draw us closer to Himself. In light of the global COVID-19 pandemic and the threatening of lives and livelihoods, the church is called (on April 2 and/or April 9) to join in day(s) of prayer and fasting to:
* Take careful evaluation of our ways, seeking the Lord to reveal “any grievous way in [us], and lead [us] in His way” (Psalm 139:23-24), individually, as a particular church, and within our nations.
* Confess and lament our sin (Psalm 51:1-4).
* Repent of any idolatrous inclinations ~ any embracing or yielding to materialism, luxury, money, employment, recreation, mammon, entertainment, politics, institutions, family life, pursuits that keep our hearts from a wholehearted devotion to Jesus Christ.
* Petition the Lord for His everlasting mercies (Psalm 136).
commit ourselves to a new zeal, setting our affections above (Colossians 3:1-3), renewing our efforts in God’s strength to live life fully on the altar of service with prayer, holiness, love, and worshipful sacrifice (Romans 12:1-2), that we might truly love the Lord our God with whole heart, and our neighbors as ourselves (Matthew 22:37-39).
give thanks for God’s covenant faithfulness in expectant anticipation of His answer to our prayers (Philippians 4:5-6).
* Glorify God in Christ as our immanent Mediator, and Judge of all the earth (1 Corinthians 10:31).
* Seek the Lord’s favor for the purification of the church, for the repentance of the nations, and the salvation of the lost (John 17:1-26).